Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- To assist in building, implementing and overseeing the Health and Safety programs and initiatives for the underground operations
1. HS Standard, Procedural and Program Development
- Facilitate the development and review of health and safety standards and procedures, in accordance with site, Newmont and local Ghanaian regulations and legislations
- Work with Underground Management to design, develop and administer Newmont programs that link to the current health and safety strategy to protect employees from work hazards and prevent incidents/accidents
- Facilitate and promote the adoption of new health and safety programs and practices.2. HS Operations Execution
- Facilitate inspections to verify that applicable underground health and safety requirements and government legislation is being followed at all times.
- Provide technical expertise in investigating HS events
- Write reports documenting the findings of the health and safety investigations
- Facilitate health and safety audits, risk assessments, reviews and inspections
- Coordinate the integration of health and safety underground activities into production efforts.
- Administer internal health and safety consulting services to Newmont underground line management
- Act in the capacity of a team leader for task forces and teams, as and when required.
- Partner with site leadership to optimize the on-site safety programs and systems in Ahafo Underground.
- Facilitate post-activity reviews to determine if all Ahafo Underground employees and contractors are adequately trained and coached to perform their roles effectively.
3. HS Reporting, Compliance and Continuous Improvement
- Facilitate event investigations to identify control failures, root causes and appropriate corrective actions to be taken
- Identify potentially hazardous situations and report to the underground department owner for immediate action and correction.
- ,maintain and report on health and safety records and statistics
- Monitor, analyse and suggest improvements from lead and lag health and safety indicators
- Review internal and external and safety reports within the contractors areas that need improvement: and implement measures to minimize the occurrence of unfavorable events
- Highlight non-compliance violations perpetrated by employees and bring this to the department head immediate attention.
4. HS Stakeholder Management, Communication and Capacity Development
- Assist underground line management regarding health and safety identification exercises, risk management processes, safety rules, regulations and trends
5. Staff Supervision
- Provide coaching and guidance to the safety representative within the underground departments
- Provide guidance to supervisors within their underground departments
Training & Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in Health and Safety or Engineering
- National Examination Board of Occupational Safety and Health(NEBOSH) General Certication in Occupational Health and Safety
- Through knowledge of underground health and safety legislative requirements
- Sound understanding of safety management systems
- Sound knowledge and experience of underground health and safety risk management processes
- Additional auditing qualification is desirable
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ working experience as a Health and Safety Officer with understanding of underground risks.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication( written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer literacy skills-MS Office(Word, Excel,[PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Sound conflict management skills
- Sound information monitoring and management skills
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills
- Safety Consciousness
- Detail Focus
- Firm and Fair
- Goal Oriented
- Work Under pressure
- Assistant portion of time will be expected to be spent underground.
- Although normal working time is from 7am-4pm, incumbent works beyond this time and no overtime is required to be paid
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to [email protected].
Job Segment: Consulting, Engineer, Risk Management, Compliance, Technology, Engineering, Finance, Legal